Tuesday 16 April 2013

Evaluation - Question Two

Question Two: How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

My music video can be seen as quite effective because of the way some shots are in colour and and also that some are in black and white. I did this to create an effect towards the audience that are watching it. With some shots been in colour whilst others are in black and white it creates a sense of the unknown because people do not know whether the shot is going to be in colour or not. My ancillary text is all in black and white. I made all of my ancillary text into black and white because I wanted it to be different to a lot of bands which have theirs in colour. Even though CD covers stand out in colour I wanted it to be different and to also stand out from others because of it been different.
My ancillary text does not have any colour in it and it is all in black and white. My text which is used for "Abandon Ship" and "Set Sail" was off dafont. I get my font off here instead of using one which was on photoshop because it looked better on my ancillary text and it went with the theme better than the other ones. The song that I used for my music video is by Demoraliser and their first album release "A Living Nightmare" digipak is in colour and I wanted to challenge that. The album cover does not have any images of the band on it, it only has the logo on the front cover and and a few hands which are reaching up from the bottom. I think that even though Demoraliser's "A Living Nightmare" album digipak is effective I also believe that my album front cover is effective.

The combination of the two is quite effective because only half of the music video is in black and white whereas the other half is in colour. With my digipak been in colour its not as in your face as other album covers yet it is still effective. My front cover does not have a lot of detail to it, it just has a main image, band name and the name of the CD. The imagery works well because it is just a photograph which is simple but yet it works effectively. I decided to put the picture of the Gallion on the front cover because of the name of the band I chose and also the name of the CD. The image on the front cover is not of a Gallion in water, I took the image of the male actor intentially so I got the water within the image. These images were taken at Wyke College in the Rose Garden.

The images within my digipak work well with my music video because the narrative side of my music video was filmed in the same location as the photographs for my ancillary text were taken. The only difference is the clothes the male actor is wearing (even though it is still the same style) and the fact that the location has a large puddle due to a lot of rain in the previous days to the photoshoot. The images were taken with the intention of the water been in the background of the image and that is why the male actor (Rob Maciver) was framed and positioned in the particular way. To take these images I used my Nikon D80 DSLR camera. I think that these images which are used for my ancillary text are more effective than my music video. This is because they go with the name of the band better and they generally just look better than some of the shots in my video because of the way the actor is positioned, the clothes he is wearing and also the way he is framed within the image. The images were manipulated using photoshop and I changed the levels to make the actor and his clothing look darker than they was. I wanted to do this because the mood of the narrative is like he is a bad person and he is ashamed of what he has done. All of these images are in a row in my digipak to create a sense of that he is moving. This is shown by the way he is looking down it shows that he is thinking about something and also that he has turned his back away from the problem.

With my music video been shot in the same area as the images for my ancillary text were taken it is quite effective because I have stayed in the same location. I wanted to do this to show continuity throughout my advanced portfolio. The images for my ancillary text were taken at a different part in the rose garden so I could get the water in. My music video was shot further into the rose garden so there was more places for the actors to walk etc. This image shows that my music video was filmed in the same location as the ancillary text. This is shown by the fencing which is towards the back on both my music video and also my ancillary text and also the stones that are scattered all over.

The majority of my music video is in black and white which is why I made my ancillary text black and white. There are only a few selected shots which are still in colour (Demoraliser's live performance at Ringside). Further on in my music video the sequence at the begining of my music video is repeated and that is in colour.

In my music video there is a shot of the male actor looking down which again is in black and white and I think that it is effective because the front cover of my digipak is in black and white and it is also an image which shows Rob looking down at the floor just like the front cover of my digipak is doing. The only differences between this shot and the front cover in my digipak is that Rob is wearing different clothes and that the levels was manipulated in photoshop for the ancillary text.




Overall, I think that if my music video was in full colour and the ancillary text was in black and white I don't think they would work effectively with each other. But, because I have done the majority of my narrative in black and white I think that they both work well together. Also, if I had the music video and the ancillary text the same tone of black and white I do not think it would have looked as effective because the lighter tone throughout my video works well as when the ancillary text was a lighter tone it did not look as well, it looked better manipulated.




No comments:

Post a Comment